Scientific Technical Support resume templates
As the name says a laboratory technician works in a laboratory, in there they analyze test, measure samples, data and information, using a variety of tools and with the purpose of discovering new facts about an issue. These professionals can work in medical, dental, chemical, criminal, biological, ophthalmology, etc. Lab technicians are also required in companies which develop petroleum, water or chemical products. Universities, schools, research institutions and colleges might also require these professionals.
To become a lab technician is necessary to have some educational qualifications, these qualifications can be:
- A one year-certification program.
- A two-year associate's degree.
- A bachelor's degree in the field you will work in.
- A master's degree.
The first two degrees are useful only if the person is not pursuing a specialized position as medical, dental or ophthalmology position. The bachelor's and master's degree must be with a major in you are planning to specialize in. After you obtain your degree (only in the case of medicine) it is very recommendable to take a certification exam. With these exams you will be a Certified Medical Laboratory Technician; these certifications are offered by The American Medical Technologist or The American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
When you choose a school, it is important to make sure that it is accredited; otherwise your degree will be useless some of the most important ones are:
- Houston Community College is located in Texas; this community college offers an Associate Degree of Applied Science in Clinical Laboratory Technology.
- Elmira College, it offers an associate degree of Applied Science in Clinical Laboratory Technician.
- DeVry University it offers a Bachelor's degree program in Clinical Laboratory Science. DeVry University has over 95 locations around the USA and Canada.
- The San Francisco State University is located in San Francisco California, it offers a Bachelor's of science in Laboratory Science with a major in biology (most common, not obligatory).
There are several specializations for laboratory technicians and the salary they receive varies according to it, for example:
- Crime Lab Technicians have an average salary of 55 thousand dollars per year, however the professionals who have several degrees and long experience can make up to 85 thousands.
- Medical Lab Technicians receive a little more, their salary ranges from 50 to 60 thousand dollars in a year. Also the professionals with masters or PhDs earn more because they can get jobs in better places.
- Biological Laboratory Technicians earn a salary which is around 40 and 50 thousand dollar in one year.
- Dental lab technicians have one of the lowest salaries in the field; their salary fluctuates around $35,000 and $44,000 per year. However, there is a low percent which makes more than $50,000 in the same period of time, these professionals have achieved several degrees and have more than 20 years of experience.