Performance Production resume templates
A composer is someone who writes music for a variety of uses. There are several types of composers as:
- The ones who compose music to be used by singers in a CD production.
- The ones who write jingles. Jingles are songs used in the publicity of a product; a jingle has to be a catchy melody and must include the benefits of the product or service.
- The ones who create the incidental music for television programs or movies. They have to create the music according to the scene in order to bring out the viewer's emotions.
- And finally, the ones who create soundtracks. A soundtrack is the song which characterizes the movie.
There are two essential things that a composer must have: natural talent and technical knowledge. In order to be a good composer, the person must:
- Posses an in-depth knowledge of music theory and music styles.
- Be proficient at several musical instruments.
- Be capable of writing in a variety of music styles.
- Be able to write and read sheet music.
Even when it is not a strict requirement, there are certain companies which require a bachelor's degree certification; however there are others which only pay attention to the skills mentioned before and to the jobs done before.
The music field is a very competitive one, becoming a successful composer is not easy and sometimes talent is not enough, there are times where luck plays an important role too. There are music composers which receive exorbitant payments for their works, while there are others which make just the necessary to leave. The salary of a composer depends on two main aspects:
- The client or company they work for.
- How popular the composition gets.
It is important to know that the composers earn money by each work they do, most of the time, they do not have a monthly salary. They get paid when the work is published. Another important thing to know is that sometimes the composer gets paid by commissions; it means that the more the work sells, the more the money he/she receives. The average salary of a composer which works for middle-sized companies is around $40,000 per year. However composers who write music for very popular films or TV shows can easily make more than one hundred thousand in just one year.
As you can see, to have a good composer career, it is very important to be known by many people who work in the show business, for this reason it is a good idea to have your resume with you all the time, so that you can give one as soon as you have an opportunity. Write your resume using the following example as guide.