Community and Welfare resume template
Community service is the work done by someone but without receiving a monetary compensation. Community work can sometimes be imposed as a punishment for committing a crime or offense. However we are going to talk about the volunteer community service work. People involve in the community and welfare services do it in order to benefit other people or an institution which provide help to other too.
Working without expecting any financial compensation is not for everybody, nevertheless it is one of the most rewarding, generous and unselfish actions we can do. To get involved in the community and welfare service you have to:
- Choose the community service area which you like to be part of. Select the area according to the things you like the most, you can choose between children, animals, elderly, sick people, etc.
- Contact an institution which provides the community service in the field you choose. Good places to look are hospitals, churches, shelters, convents, schools, etc. Also there are organizations which provide help to a specific type of people, for examples there are animals, women, children, family organizations, among others.
In the community service field, there are paid positions. Once you are involved in the field and gain experience you can apply to better job positions as community service coordinator or community service manager. To obtain this kind of positions a degree is a must. There are some colleges accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) which offer certifications in social work, nevertheless a degree in fields like psychology, sociology are also helpful. Some of the top accredited universities which offer a bachelor's and master's degree in Social Work are:
- The Appalachian State University is a public college located in Boone, New York. This university offers a bachelor's and master's degree in social work. These degrees offer two main concentrations: individuals and families or community and organizational practice.
- The Florida State University is also a public school, it does not only offer a bachelor's and master's degree in social work, but it also offers a Ph.D. in the field. This university is located in Tallahassee, Florida and in the 2010 was ranked as one of the best in the country.
- The University of Southern California is located in Los Angeles California. It offers one of the most recognized master's degrees in social work and has some concentrations to choose from.
The salary of community service managers vary according to the type of employer. Companies which pay the most are the ones involved in the health care industry; they pay around $55 thousand per year, while companies which are in the child care field pay around 38,000 dollars.
If you are interested in working in this field or if you are already working on it and want to apply to a different position a good resume is necessary, below there are some samples which can be very helpful in the development of your own.